This Production Funding scheme supports Wales-based production and games development companies who are looking to develop productions intended for international audiences. It's aimed at the following production genres: scripted, non-scripted, animation and games development.
We are prioritising the development of a content production sector that provides equal and diverse opportunities for a long term, skilled employment base. The funding will be targeted at companies that are implementing the latest practices in sustainable production and have wellbeing of cast, crew and employees at the forefront – whether they are freelancers, contractors or permanent staff.
We also prioritise content that shows the best of Wales in culture, language and geography.
The programme aims to:
- Boost production by stimulating growth in the number and variety of productions made in Wales
- Maximise the economic impact of supported productions to local economies and the supply chain in Wales
- Improve employment opportunities in the sector through increased and co-ordinated opportunities for training and development
- Develop audiences by improving access to Wales-made production and content at home and internationally
- Develop Wales’ reputation as a destination for international productions and co-productions, supported by our world-class talent, crews, facilities and unique locations
- Support the development of a skilled, diverse workforce.
Who is eligible to apply?
You can apply for Creative Wales Production Funding if you meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Your main business activity is either film (non-theatrical), TV, games or animation
- All or part of this production will be made in Wales
- You have a fully considered finance plan with all other funding in place
- There is a skills / upskilling element to the project
- Your project demonstrates a commitment to diversity and inclusivity and sustainability
- You can evidence commercial viability (distribution deal/commission/broadcaster etc.) associated with this project
- There is a minimum of 12 weeks from acceptance of expression of interest (EOI) until project start date (principal photography for TV & Film projects)
- Your company/management team have a demonstrable track record of delivery in the genre, and at least one commercial release within the last three years from application.
First, please ensure you have read the Production Funding Guidance to consider whether you have a project that may be eligible for funding.
Having read the guidance, if you feel you may have an eligible project, please visit the Online Eligibility Checker tool where you will be prompted to answer a series of eligibility questions. Based on your responses, you will be advised on next steps.
How to apply?
Please visit the online eligibility checker for information.
We may at any time pause the fund if we are processing a large volume of applications. Prior warning of this will be given to anyone in the cycle.
Funding for feature films continues to be available via our partnership with Ffilm Cymru, visit Ffilm Cymru Wales feature film production fund for information.